Blogging on VeganTravel.com
This guide will go over details on how to get started with blogging on the site. We can’t wait to hear all about your travels!
The choice of the content is entirely yours, we just ask that it doesn’t contain any disturbing or graphic images, and that it of course be vegan and travel related! Original content is preferred, but bloggers are most welcome to use existing content from their own blog sites. Also while content is key, we have found that the posts we share on our social pages with better resolution photos grab more peoples interest, and receive more likes, comments, and shares.
Your words and images are a great resource for your fellow vegans while helping demonstrate to the those considering going vegan, just how easy it is to live more compassionately and travel as ethical vegans. The blogging platform on VeganTravel.com is WordPress, and as a site blogger you will have “author” rights and access to the back end of the site. For consistency purposes, we ask that you follow this set of rules as you prepare each of your blog posts to share on the site.
Welcome Aboard! We’re so happy to have you as an active blogger on VeganTravel.com!
Starting a New Blog Post:
Log into the site as you normally would. Once you have author access you should see a toolbar at the top of the page. Hover over the “New” section at the top to add a Post (shown in the image on the left). Alternatively, you can also start a new post from the backend of the site (shown in image on the right).
Your screen should now display a blank post with fields for you to add the blog title and blog content.
Here you can write (or paste in) your blog content, and upload any photos (Add Media) you would like to add to your blog post.
Adding photos to your blog:
When you upload your photos to the site, please be sure to add a descriptive Title and related Alt text to your photo. The photo title should descriptive, but please keep it to as few words as possible. You can also a Caption if you would like that text to be displayed directly under your photo.
NOTE: all photos should have a MAXIMUM width of 2,000 pixels for page performance purposes.
Photo sizing: As you add photos to your blog, please feel free to select any display size you like (Medium, Large, or Full Size). You can set your photo display size when you first upload your photo to your blog by selecting the option settings in the Add Media window. You can also set your photo size once your photo is in your blog by clicking on your photo and selecting the Edit button (Pencil shape). Screenshots of both options are shown on the right:
Photo sizing when you first add a photo to your blog:
Photo sizing a photo that you already added to your blog – click on photo and select the edit tool:
Adding a video to your blog:
To add a video to your blog post, simply copy the link from your video’s YouTube or Vimeo page, and paste it into your blog post. You can use either the link at the top of your browser page, or the Share link. Below is an example of the Share link option from YouTube:
Adding links to your blog:
If your blog mentions a restaurant, store, or any other point of interest, please feel free to include a link to their website , or their Facebook or Instagram page. This way anyone who reads your blog can easily go to a relevant page to learn more about that restaurant, business, or destination.
On all links, please check the “Open link in a new tab” button. This way, your blog post will remain open so they can easily return to it after they explore any links you provide in your blog.
If you have your own website, social accounts or anything else that you’d like to refer people to, you are welcome to include the details at the bottom of your blog post. We do ask that you reciprocate by linking to VeganTravel.com on your own site or other accounts where possible.
Adding a Featured Image:
The Featured Image is what people see when checking out blogs on our site, or when your blog is shared on certain social media sites. Once you have added your content to your blog post, please also include a featured image for your post. The Featured Image box is on the lower right hand side.
Save as Pending Review:
Once the steps above are done, your blog is almost ready to be shared with the world!
Please save your draft as “Pending Review”, so that one of the VeganTravel team members can review it, add tags and categories, and make any small edits if necessary. Tags and categories help site visitors easily find your blog.
This “Pending Review” step also helps prevent multiple posts from being shared at once, and content spaced out throughout the week usually get seen by more of our site community.
Our goal is to get your blog seen by as many people as we can.
Our website and social media platforms reach thousands of hearts and minds from all over our beautiful planet. And we are especially delighted when one of the first listings someone finds while browsing Google or another search engine, is one of our vegan community’s blogs, photos, or videos. To help accomplish this, we share links to our blogs and our bloggers on our site, and on our social media pages. You can also help by sharing your blogs to your groups and social pages. And please do let us know about any website or social pages you would like us to mention or link-to in our social posts.
Another tool our site uses to get your blog seen is a SEO plugin. We use it to help let search engines know what each blog is about, and to help people browsing the web to find your blog. You can find this tool located at the bottom of the page you are editing. You are welcome to edit these, or please feel free to just leave them with the page defaults. SEO titles and descriptions need to be within a certain character length, so we often edit them before we publish each blog.
Adding a Photo Gallery:
An optional tool you can use in your blogs is the “Create Gallery”
When adding two or more photos in a row to your blog, the optional Photo Gallery is a helpful tool for alligning 2 or more photos in a row. Below are some details for adding your photos to your post using photo galleries:
- Choose a position in your blog post that you would like the Gallery to appear.
- Click on the [Add Media] Button, as you normally would when you add photos
- When the window opens, select the [Create Gallery] option on the upper left.
- You will then have the option of either Selecting Files to upload, or picking files already in the Media Library
- After you upload or select your photos (or select them from the Media Library), the photos will appear with check marks in the Media Library
- On the right side of each photo you select, you will see a section where you can add in each photo’s Title, Caption, and Alt Text Tags (the Caption is used if you would like your blog readers to see text about your photos).
- After you add the Title, Caption, & Alt Text for each photo, you can click on the [Create a new gallery] button on the lower right and it will then open the Edit Gallery screen
- On the Edit Gallery screen, you can drag the photos to change the order on how they appear in your blog. And you can also edit or add the Captions just below each photo.
- On the right side of the same Edit Gallery screen, you choose the Gallery Settings
- Choose how many Columns you want for your Gallery (2 photos across the row, 3 photos across, etc.). For example; if you want to have a Gallery of 6 photos and you select 2 Columns, your 6 photos will show up 2 per row, on 3 rows. If on the other hand, you select 3 Columns for the same 6 photos, your photos will show on 2 rows, with 3 photos per row.
- You are most welcome to play around with the other two settings (Link to and Size). We’ve found the best settings to be the ones shown in the image above (Link to Media File, and Size Large).
- When you are satisfied with your settings, just click the [Insert Gallery] button, on the lower right of that same screen.
- You will then be back in the Blog Post editing page, and your Gallery will appear something like the following:
- Lastly, once your Gallery is in your post, you can click the Preview button (top right) to see how the gallery looks in your blog. If needed, it is easy to edit the Gallery settings by clicking on the photo and selecting the Edit button (Pencil image).
We respectfully request that you kindly respond to any comments you receive on your blogs on our site, as well as if we share your blog posts on our social pages.
Our team at VeganTravel believes that through our collective blogs and videos, we can help demonstrate just how easy it is to live and travel as ethical vegans, and help highlight the joys of living a more compassionate lifestyle. Approved blogs will be featured on this site, on Facebook, and on our other social media pages. To help give you blogs as much exposure as possible, please consider sharing your blog on your social pages as well. And we encourage you to respond to any comments we get about your blog on our site and our other social platforms.
We are so thrilled to have you as a blogger on VeganTravel.com! However, please note that all content must be approved by our team before it goes live on the site. VeganTravel reserves the right to deny or remove any content that does not align with our values. If the author role is misused in anyway, we have the right to revoke blogger access at any time.