Located in the archaeological heart of the city of Rome, the Flavian Amphitheatre, or, more commonly, the Colosseum, stands for monumentality and receives daily a large number of visitors attracted by the enchantment of its history and its complex architecture.
Built in the first century CE at the behest of the emperors of the Flavian dynasty, the Colosseum, named after a colossal statue that stood nearby, until the end of the Ancient Age accommodated games of great popular appeal, such as hunts and gladiatorial fights.
The building was, and still is today, a show in itself. In fact, it is the largest amphitheatre not only in the city of Rome but in the world, able to offer stunning sceneries as well as services for spectators. Symbol of the pageantry of the Empire, over the centuries the amphitheatre has changed its face and its function, offering itself as a structured space also open to the Roman community. Today, the Colosseum is a monument unto itself and unto the works of human genius, which survive time; yet it is still comfortable and dynamic, accessible on two levels offering a wide overview onto its interiors, but also short and evocative brief glimpses of the city from its outer arches.
It also hosts temporary exhibitions related to the timeless theme of the “Ancient” and its relationship with the “Contemporary”, as well as modern performances. This outcome of events and experiences makes the amphitheatre a new place every day, significant for all and able to tell everybody a story.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Recent Travel Blogs
- Street treats that make a trip to An Giang sweet March 20, 2021
- An oasis for veggie-lovers in Cà Mau March 13, 2021
- Vegan Food in the USA? Here’s how you find it August 4, 2020
- Ultimate Guide to the Best Vegan Pizza in Los Angeles 2020 July 11, 2020
- Berlin, Veganism and the Coronavirus May 18, 2020
- Unexpected adventure in Bach Ma National Park May 17, 2020
- Vegan in Tokyo, Japan May 10, 2020
- Vegan Trekking in Nepal April 9, 2020
- How to Eat Healthy Vegan Meals on Airplanes March 17, 2020
- Vegan/raw haven in Sal, Cabo Verde January 9, 2020
Recent Travel Videos
Vegan Listings Near Me
To view a map of vegan listings near you, click the box below.
Please note: Location Services on your browser or device needs to be activated for this widget to work.